Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Revelation Twice Over

It's true that repeated lessons over time are more than likely something God is trying to teach you.  Perhaps the first occurrence helps us to recognize the second.

Last week, immediately following Beth Moore's 4th lecture of her Revelation series I wrote the following statement in my notes because it spoke to me.

"You do not have control.  It is all an illusion.  Give it to him."

I'm not sure those were her exact words, but they were important to me because I believe that I work under the illusion that I have control over things that, in reality, I do not.  Examples could be endless, but to name a few...my children, my husband, my family, my friends, my own emotions, my life in general, the way I am perceived by others, my schedule...

Today, my Bible Study Fellowship teaching leader said, "We think we are in control."  I'm not even sure about the context because I was not very focused after a mentally challenging morning, but I heard that.  Loud and clear.  God speaking to me.

"Lauren, you are not in control."

"Lauren, you are under the illusion that you are in control."

Lord, exactly what does this mean?

I notice that there are not any Scriptures that talk of controlling others or the world around us.  There are only Scriptures that talk of self-control.  Here are the ones I've found.

Galatians 5:22-24
     But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

2 Peter 1:3-9
     His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
     For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

Proverbs 29:11
     A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.

Meditating on these this afternoon...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that. Too often I think that we forget who has complete control over everything. Sometimes the hardest prayer is telling God we give him full control of our lives...even though He already has control!